1 make larger; "She enlarged the flower beds"
3 become larger or bigger
4 add details, as to an account or idea; clarify the meaning of and discourse in a learned way, usually in writing; "She elaborated on the main ideas in her dissertation" [syn: elaborate, lucubrate, expatiate, exposit, flesh out, expand, expound, dilate] [ant: abridge]
- Rhymes: -ɑː(r)dʒ
- make larger
- Enlargement of the European Union is the political process for integrating countries into the European Union.
- Homothety is a mathematical function for increasing distances and volumes.
- Enlargement (in fiction) is a theme in fiction, especially in science fiction and fantasy.
- An enlargement is a photographic print that is larger than the negative it is printed from, through the use of an Enlarger.
- Enlargement of the African Union
- Enlargement of the Arab League
- Enlargement of the United Nations
- Enlargement of NATO
add to, agent provocateur, aggrandize, aggravate, amplify, annoy, augment, balloon, beef up, bloat, blow up, blueprint, boost, broaden, build, build up, bulk, bulk out, complete, crescendo, deepen, descant, detail, deteriorate, develop, dilate, distend, elaborate, elongate, embitter, embroider, enhance, enlarge upon, enter into detail, evolve, exacerbate, exaggerate, exalt, exasperate, expand, expatiate, explicate, expound, extend, fatten, fill out, go into, greaten, grow, heat up, heighten, hike, hike up, hot up, huff, increase, inflate, intensify, irritate, jack up, jump up, labor, lengthen, magnify, make acute, make worse, maximize, mount, multiply, parlay, particularize, print, process, provoke, puff, puff up, pump, pump up, put up, pyramid, raise, rarefy, rehearse in extenso, relate at large, rise, sharpen, snowball, sour, spell out, spread, stretch, sufflate, supplement, swell, thicken, tumefy, unfold, up, upsurge, wax, widen, work out, worsen